Saturday, August 5, 2017

Man Up

   So because I'm a sucker for these types of films I've watched this one a few times. Yeah I think finding true love is a complete load of bull crap but for some reason I keep watching these types of movies. This just happens to be, for me, a little bit better than most. It has two leads that feel like regular, flawed people, it has a setting that is a place I'd love to go (London), and aside from a couple of flaws I find it to be fairly rewatchable.

   Nancy (Lake Bell) is a 34 year old woman who is tired of the rat race of dating, while Jack (Simon Pegg) is a 40 year old divorcee who is set up on a blind date but who he meets is not who he expected. Nancy ends up being mistaken for his blind date Jessica and she goes with it. As the night goes on they get to know each other some until Jack finds out the truth. They try to part ways but they run into Jack's ex and she decides to help make him look good in front of her. As the night goes on they both realize something just might be sparking between them.

   I concede that a lot of the movie is just paint-by-numbers romantic comedy cliches, but the characters and their interactions help make the movie work for me. The only thing that I didn't care for is the super creepy former high school guy who knows Nancy, and the regular tied up in a bow happy ending. I personally would have opted for something a bit more low key that shows they have a chance at a relationship but didn't make it feel like a fairy-tale ending. I think at the very least if you enjoy Simon Pegg you'd enjoy this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Aviator

   Gave this one a re-watch, it had been awhile since I've seen it and it is one of my favorite films of Leonardo DiCaprio. This movie...